I never use to think about the amount of sleep i use to have or the quality of sleep i was getting. I really use to burn the candle at both ends and even when i was at school i would always be up late watching tv and then struggle to wake up in the morning.
How many times a week do you have these signs twice or more?
- Need an alarm clock to wake up on time.
- Hitting the snooze button.
- Have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning.
- Feel Sluggish in the afternoon.
- Get sleepy in a meeting or warm room.
- Fall asleep while watching tv or relaxing in the evening.
- Fall asleep within 5 minutes of going to bed.
These are signs we are sleep deprived and being sleep deprived from time to time is fine but having sleep deprivation on a regular basic it really does have an number of effects on your body.
- Fatigue, Lethargy and lack of motivation
- Moodiness and irritability
- Reduced Creativity and problem solving skills
- Concentration and memory problems
- Difficulty making decisions
- Inability to cope with stress
You may have a really busy week ahead of you, either lots of work on or you have to do lots of studying or even just a busy full time mum running a house hold. As you can with all the above symptoms you will just make anything you need to do more complicated, longer and harder for yourself by just being tired.
A few more symptoms it has on your body are
7. Reduced immunity and frequent cold and infections.
8. Weight Gain .
9. Impaired motor skills and increased risk of accidents .
10. Increased risk of diabetes, heart disease and other health problems.
You may be reading this thinking how can you gain weight if you are tired. There are a couple of reasons why one is we have two hormones that control our hunger. Ghrelin which tells us when we are hungry this increases when the body is tired, and then leptin tells the brain when we are full decreases . Secondly you are less likely to want to make healthy choices when tired you may grab the croissant for breakfast or when you get in from work in the evening you feel so tired you cant be bothered to cook so you either just put something in the oven to warm up or get a takeaway.
How much sleep should you be getting, 8-9 Hours a night.
Here are a few tips to help you sleep better
Get into a routine, go to bed and wake up at exactly the same time every day so the body get used to it.
Keep the bedroom for sleep, make it a nice relaxing environment so you want to nod off .
Eliminating any noise that may disturb your sleep.
Removing any electronic equipment no phones, iPad, Tv.
Ensuring the room is dark enough.
Ensuring the bed is comfortable enough.
Improve nutrition and exercice .
a. avoid eating a large meal before 2-3 hours before going to bed.
b. Avoid drinking caffeine in the latter part of the day.
c. Avoid Alcohol before bed.
d. Exercise , your body will need to recover and rest you will go into a nice deep sleep.
I hope you can now see why sleep is so important for our health and bodies. Why not get 8-9 hours sleep for the next couple of weeks and just take note to how you feel and how you function and then drop me a tweet @inspiredfitnes2